Macular degeneration is one of the leading causes of vision loss among patients aged 50 years or older. This progressive disease gradually reduces sharp vision because the macula gets damaged. This results in blurry, dark, or distorted vision.
There are two types of macular degeneration: dry and wet. Symptoms of dry macular generation include blurry distance vision, haziness, less vivid colors, and inability to recognize people’s faces. Our optometrist in Vienna, VA, lists distorted vision, loss of central vision, dark or gray spots, and loss of color brightness as signs of wet macular degeneration.
Eye specialists diagnose this type of eye disease through visual acuity tests and dilated eye exams. We can also ask you to look at an Amsler grid or inject a fluorescent dye to detect any leaking blood vessels. Through optical coherence tomography, we can use light waves to capture images of your eyes.
Macular degeneration is a serious eye problem, but you can do your part so you can prevent it at an early age. Our eye doctor in Reston, VA, gives these lifestyle tips:
- Stop smoking. Several studies have linked smoking to increased risks of macular degeneration. Cigarettes contain oxidants that lead to macular degeneration, cancer, and pulmonary disease.
- Eat a healthy diet. Omega-3 and low-cholesterol foods can reduce the risk of macular degeneration.
- Know your family’s health history. You have an increased chance of having macular degeneration if any of your relatives have had it. Talk to your local eye specialist to see if you are a candidate.
- Exercise. A team of researchers from the University of Wisconsin-Madison found that people who exercised regularly had lower risks of macular degeneration.
- Schedule eye exams. Macular degeneration, at an early stage, does not have obvious symptoms. This is why you need to schedule an eye exam at Vienna Eyecare Center to determine if you have this disease. The American Academy of Ophthalmology advises seniors to undergo an exam every one or two years.
Living a healthy lifestyle and scheduling eye exams can maintain healthy vision. Vienna Eyecare Center, your trusted provider of eyecare in Mclean, VA, can help you with all your eye health needs. We conduct comprehensive exams and recommend the proper treatment for your eyes.
Call us today at (703) 688-7003 to learn more about macular degeneration. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.